Monday, June 23, 2008

Weekend Brunch 2

This weekend brunch was a simple rasam combo. I made tomato rasam, eriseri with vazhakai & Senai(Yam), cabbage curry(poriyal), appalam & curd.
Since the recipe for rasam & cabbage curry is known to most people, I'm just going to mention
the things that I do specially to make it tastier...
Rasam:
Along with the rasam powder, I also add some freshly ground spices such as pepper, cumin seeds & garlic ground in my mortar & pestle to get that nice aroma of spices.
Also when tempering make sure to add the hing in the oil or ghee + curry leaves used for tempering to get nice aroma.
Finely chopped stems of cilantro leaves could be added to the rasam. most people throw the stem of coriander away but it has a really good aroma.
Cabbage curry:
Since I had made eriseri with lots of coconut in it. I was a little bit guilty to add coconut again to my cabbage curry. So I decided to skip the coconut and instead add soaked moong dhal to the curry. All you got to do is soak 1 or 2 tbsp moong dhal for 5-10 mins and add it to the tempering items when the mustard seeds splutter. once u add the moong dhal, then add the cabbage and cook it. This gives a very good taste to the curry and is also good for health.
Eriseri:
I usually make mathan eriseri at home but wanted to try vazhaikai and Yam eriseri after seeing this recipe here on Menutoday's blog. Thanks MT for the recipe. I make mathan eriseri in the same way but just add few cumin seeds while grinding the coconut.

No comments: