Friday, June 20, 2008

Rava Kichadi

Rava Kichadi:

Kichadi in Tamilnadu is the name given to the rava upma made with vegetables and a little turmeric powder to give the color. However, living with some roommates from other states, I learnt that Kichadi in a lot of other states in India is referred to the rice+dhal combo they make. Oh well, this kichadi recipe is a simple but really filling tiffin that I prepare very often.

Ingredients:

Rava- 1 cup

Water- 2 ½ cups

Ghee- 1 tbsp

Oil

Mixed vegetables- 1 cup

(Frozen should work)

Turmeric powder- 1 tsp

Cilantro leaves

For Tempering:

Urad dhal- 1 tbsp

Mustard seeds- 1 Tbsp

Channa dhal- 1 tbsp

Jeera seeds -1 Tbsp

Green chillies- 2 or 3 finely chopped

Red chillies- 2

Ginger- small piece finely chopped

Curry leaves- few

Oil

Hing

Roast the rava in 1 tsp of ghee and keep it aside. Few curry leaves can be added to the rava while roasting for a nice aroma (Tip from my MIL)

In a wide saucepan, to hot oil add the tempering items and when the mustard seeds splutter add finely chopped ginger, garlic(optional- added to help digestion), curry leaves & green chili. Sauté for just a second before adding the thinly sliced onions. Now add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and sauté it till onion is soft. Now goes the chopped tomatoes. Cover & cook till tomato gets mushy, then add mixed vegetables & cook for 2 mins.

Now add the correct measure of water and salt. Let this boil.

When this starts boiling add the roasted rava and constantly stir it to avoid any lumps.

Now cover and cook for few more mins until rava gets cooked. Add a pinch of hing and garnish with cilantro leaves & roasted cashews (optional).

This can be served with just sugar & pickle.
I decided to make some dhalia (potukadalai) chutney and served with steamed nenthram pazham (banana) slices b’cos my hubby likes this combo.

3 comments:

GengaRajaram said...

Hey Madhu,
Yesterday I made Rave kitchadi(my favourite) as per ur recipe and it came out well.Grated Ginger and Garlic gives very good flavour.I added additional 1/2 cup of water to be on the safer side as Iam known for messing up Upma:-). Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Yeah, even I am not good in making upma as it becomes like a paste. So I rarely cook it. Per GCM's feedback, I made Rava kichadi and to my surprise it turned out perfect! It was soft with the right consistency and delicious. I enjoyed while eating it hot. Banana would be best combination with that. So, here after I will use Rava to make kichadi and ofcourse Rava idli.

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

Thank you Genga & Dhanya!