Thursday, December 4, 2008

Wacky Banana Cake

Many thanks to Nandita of Saffrontrail for this wonderful recipe.click here to view her recipe...
I have followed the recipe exactly the same way...the only difference is I avoided the nuts...Also, instead of banana you could use apples or any other fruit and add nuts based on your choice......what I luv the most abt this recipe is, it is not only very very simple to make but also quite healthy since it has no eggs, no butter and has mostly whole wheat flour........I made this cake at the perfect time when three of my friend's little girls are celebrating their 1st birthday this month....ok so this simple healthy cake is for the three little angels Nadhi (Dec 5th), Anvita(Dec 6th) & Shakthi (Dec 10th).....Happy Happy B'day little ones.....I'm going to make a note of the recipe here for my future reference......
Ingredients:
1.Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
2. All purpose flour- 1/2 cup
3. Sugar- 3/4 cup (Powder this in mixie)
4. baking soda- 1 tsp
5. Salt- 1/2 tsp
6. Cinnamon powder- 1 tsp

7. White vinegar- 1 tbsp
8. Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
9. Canola oil- 5 tbsp
10. Cold water (not iced)- 1 cup


11. Banana or apple- sliced- 1
12. nuts- optional
Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and take ingredients 1 to 6 in a flour sifter and sift it into a 8x8 square baking pan ( After using this though, I thought it might be better to use a loaf pan to get more thickness/depth of the cake). Pour ingredients 7 to 10 and mix well without any lumps. Now add ingredients 11 & 12 and shake the pan to level off and sprinkle some cinnamon powder. Now bake in the oven for 30 mins or till done (when the top of the cake turns golden brown & a fork comes out clean). Cut into square pieces and serve warm.

5 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

oh that's a yummy cake. i love banana cake. it looks perfect. did u make this for kalpi's kid. heheheh

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

oh ya.. i just read the name shakthi..

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

yaa.....u got it right :)

Kalpana said...

hey Madhoo, thanks for the cake dedication. I plan to make the cake soon, it does look too easy. I might leave out the cinnamon, not being a big fan of it. Will let you know how it turns out.

Unknown said...

Hi, I like this recipe for it is made with wheat which is healthy and no eggs. I am planning to try this. I don't have white vinegar. Can I skip that? Is the banana sliced in round shape?