Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Palak Dhal

I had some fresh organic spinach(Palak) in my fridge which was calling out to me.....I wanted to make some side dish using spinach which would go well with chapathi.....so I came up with my own simple recipe for Palak dhal using moong dhal and pearl onions (just for a change against the usual onions) and it turned out excellent......one thing I need to share here with the readers, my mom always used to make spinach for lunch and never for dinner...not sure why, but I have also heard from a lot of other people too that it is best to eat spinach during daytime or in other words avoid it at dinner time......
Ingredients:
Spinach- 1 bunch
Moong dhal- 1/2 cup
Pearl onions- 4 or 5 (cut each into half)
Tomato- 1 small
Ginger/Garlic (grated)- 1 tbsp
turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Chilly powder- 1 tsp
garam masala powder- 1 tsp
hing- a pinch
salt to taste
For tempering:
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Red chilly- 1
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Hing- a pinch
Oil- 1 tbsp
ghee- 1/2 tsp

Method:
Pressure cook the moong dhal along with a pinch of turmeric & hing and keep it aside.
Temper the above mentioned items in hot oil (I also added very little (abt 1/2 tsp) ghee to give a nice flavor)....when the mustard seeds splutter, add the pearl onions & grated ginger garlic and saute till the onion turns golden brown....then add the tomatoes & saute till tomato becomes pulpy...now add the chopped spinach & saute till the spinach shrinks. Now add the mashed cooked moong dhal, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt, hing & garam masala powder. add some water so that it doesn't get too thick.Cook for 2-3 mins and serve hot with roti or rice.

2 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I can imagine how tasty this dhal would have turned out. Pearl onions, garlic, tomatoes and spinach... excellent ingredients. i shud try this next time. pearl onions add great taste to food but peeling is a pain :-)of course, it is worth it.

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

Do try it Mahimaa...I agree pearl onions has a nice flavor and u might know this tip already....to make the peeling of pearl onions easier, keep it soaked in water for 15 mins and then the peeling is much much easier...