Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Poha

Poha called Avil in Tamilnadu, is a quick tiffin item to make. Poha is basically pressed rice so it is definitely filled with carbs and I personally have always found it to be very filling even with small proportion. Poha in Tamilnadu is usually made with lemon (Lemon avil) or tamarind (Puli Avil). But when I was looking for the north indian recipe of poha on the internet, I came across the recipe of TS for corn poha. Click here for her recipe. Of course I made some modifications to it by incorporating our south indian tempering items, using regular onions and by adding some raisins along with the cashews and peanuts.
Ingredients:
Poha(thick)- 2 cups
Onion- 1
Green chilly- 2 or 3 finely chopped
Frozen Corn or green peas- 2 or 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
salt
oil
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Asafoetida- pinch
lemon juice
coriander leaves

For Tempering:
Cumin seeds- 1 /2 tsp
Urad dhal- 1 tbsp
chana dhal- 1 tbsp
mustard seeds- 1 tbsp
curry leaves- few
cashews- few
peanuts- few
raisins- few


Add the cashews, peanuts and raisins to hot oil + 1/2 tbsp of ghee. when the cashews turn light brown add the other tempering items. When the mustard seeds splutter add the chopped onions + green chilly and saute until onion turns soft. In the meantime, wash the poha twice and drain the water & keep it aside.Now add the frozen corn or peas, turmeric, pinch of chilly powder, poha and salt to taste. Mix everything well and cook for 2-3 mins. Add a pinch of asafoetida, chopped coriander leaves, 1/2 tsp of ghee, squeeze some lemon juice and serve... I served it with some sev on top (I've heard that it is usually served with sev but this is optional of course)

3 comments:

Srivalli said...

Thats a lovely dish..you have nice place here...

btw you can send this to Rice Mela at my blog.

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

Thanks a lot Srivalli. I certainly will send this recipe to the rice mela.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hey poha looks soo goood. like how the color has turned out for you. and thanks for visiting my blog and voting for me. so nice of you.. and i like the burfi too. will add ur blog to my blogroll :)