Monday, October 27, 2008

Coconut Burfi

Happy Diwali!

Diwali and sweets are inseparable. So I made it a point to make one sweet atleast for this Diwali...Coconut burfi has always been one of my favorite sweet and I always asked my mom to make this for my b'day every year. So I called up my mom and asked her for the recipe and jumped right into it......With the 2 cups of frozen coconut used I got about 15 pieces of coconut burfi
Ingredients:
Shredded Coconut- 2 cups (I used frozen coconut)
sugar- 11/2 cups
Water- 3/4 cup
cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Roasted cashews- 1 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tsp

Add the sugar and water to a deep pan and heat it until the sugar syrup becomes thick and come to a one string consistency.(Simple way to check is to take a little bit of sugar syrup in the spatula, give it a few seconds to cool down, then touch it and try to pull it between two fingers. it should come like a string or thread). Then add the shredded thawed frozen coconut, cardamom powder and mix it to the sugar syrup. Cook it nicely until it thickens. It might take 10-15 mins. In the meantime, roast some broken cashews in a tbsp of ghee and add to the pan. Wait until it thickens nicely and it should leave the sides of the pan. At this point of time, transfer this to a plate greased with ghee. Flatten it with a spatula, then cut it into pieces with a clean knife. Wait until it cools down and then serve the coconut burfi.

No comments: