Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Minestrone soup

Minestrone soup is the name given to the famous Italian soup which is cooked with vegetables, beans, and/or pasta. This can be made with any veggies available readily and is cooked by slowly simmering the veggies in the stock with garlic, Italian seasoning & basil. I generally use a can of diced tomatoes and add water for the veggie stock.I remember reading somewhere that people in Italy at one time believed that minestrone soup would cure most aches & pains. Oh well, all I can think of is with all those veggies & garlic, it definitely ought to be good for health:)
Ingredients:
Onion- 1 big
Chopped Garlic- 2 or 3 tbsp
Diced Tomatoes- 1 can
Chopped Vegetables- 3 cups (I used carrots, celery, green beans, zuchinni)a
Red kidney beans- 1/2 can
small sea shell pasta- 1/2 cups
Italian seasoning- 2 tbsp
Basil- 1 tbsp
Black pepper- 1 tbsp
Oil- 1 tsp

Saute Onion and garlic in 1 tsp of oil and then add all vegetables, saute lightly for a min (do not let the veggies turn brown), then add the canned diced tomatoes and enough water to form the stock. Add some salt, cover and cook in low flame. The vegetables have to be slowly simmered in the stock.This will easily take at least 10 mins. When vegetables are almost cooked, add the kidney beans, pasta & the spices (Italian seasoning, basil & pepper) and let this cook again for another 7-8 mins or until pasta is cooked. Use a deep pan like stock pot so that there is enough room for water to be added. Add more salt & pepper if needed at the time of serving depending on each one's taste.
Sprinkle some grated cheese if u like at the end. I don't care for cheese on my soup, so I skipped that.

Optional:
1. Any kind of stock (chicken or beef) can be used for this, even though this soup has mainly veggies. For this reason, I always ask the waitress in restaurants what kind of stock has been used in the soup since I'm a vegetarian.

1 comment:

Kalpana said...

I finally made this soup last night, and realized that I had been making this soup for a long time, only difference is I added zuchinni, pasta and kidney beans. I went the Non-veg style by adding chicken to get the broth. Boy! it was a lot of cutting of vegetables, but it was a whole meal by itself. I also added a touch of ginger, not sure if that is integral to the recipe. Healthy one, I'll certainly make this often.