Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Soraikkai(Bottlegourd) kadalaiparupu Kootu

When I was looking for a different recipe for soraikai(Bottlegourd/Dhudhi) from my usual kootu recipe, I came across this really nice recipe in google video in the jaya tv cookery show suvayo suvai. Click here for the video. I'm going to make a note of that recipe here.....The variation I have made is to reduce the qty of coconut paste used. I just added a tbsp of coconut paste as against the 1/2 cup coconut paste in the recipe...
Ingredients:
1.Soraikai/Bottleguard- 2 cups
2.Channa dhal- 1/2 cup (soaked in water for half hour)
3.Onion- finely chopped- 1/2
4.Tomato-finely chopped- 1/2
5.Ginger/Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
6.Chilly powder- 1 tsp
7.Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
8.Dhania powder- 2 tbsp
9.Green chilly- 1 or 2 slit lengthwise
10.Curry leaves
11.Salt
12.Hing or Asafoetida- 1 tsp
13. coconut - 2 tbsp (grind it with some water to get the paste)
For Tempering:
oil
Mustard seeds-1 tbsp
Jeera seeds- 1 tsp
Red chilly- 1 or 2
Curry leaves- a few
Method:
Add ingredients 1 to 12 in a pressure cooker. Add some water until the veggies are immersed and pressure cook for 3 whistles and then reduce the flame and cook for 5 more mins. Once the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker and mash the veggies slightly with a ladle. Then in a wok heat the oil and add the tempering items and when the mustard splutter, add the veggies from the pressure cooker and cook for 2-3 mins. Then add the coconut paste and cook for another 2 mins and garnish with curry leaves , coriander leaves & serve with rice or roti.
My recipe for kootu usually doesn't have onion, tomato & garlic, but trust me this new way of making kootu was delicious and not to mention healthy too.

3 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

healthy and yummy.. i have bookmarked this one.. will try it when i buy soraikai. i like the combo...kadalai parupu and soraikai..

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks really yummy .. i love doodhi

Chandani said...

My husband and I love this dish...I make it so often:)