Thursday, July 10, 2008

Chilli Porotta

Chilli porotta is a spicy dish made with porotta torn into pieces and sautéed with green chilly & spices. I genereally use the frozen porotta we get here in the indian store, thaw it and then tear into pieces. The last time I luckily got frozen kothu porotta in the indian store so didn't have to do the tearing, but this is not common to find. Also, remember look for Porotta and not Paratha, though they sound the same they are totally different.
Ingredients:
Frozen Porotta- 1 pack or about 6-7 pieces
Onion-1 thinly sliced lengthwise
Tomato- 1
carrot- 1/2 thinly sliced lengthwise
Green pepper- 1 thinly sliced lengthwise
Cilantro leaves- few
Ginger & garlic- finely chopped 1 tbsp
Green chilli- 4
chilli powder- a pinch
Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
salt
oil
For Tempering:
cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds-1 tbsp

Tear the thawed porotta into thin pieces and set it aside
In a pan, add jeera & mustard to hot oil and when the mustard seeds splutter, add the ginger/garlic & green chilly and fry for a min.
Then add the cut onions and sauté really well. The add tomatoes until it gets mushy,followed by carrots and sauté until the carrot is soft.
Now add the green peppers and sauté it a bit. Green pepper has to be a bit crunchy.
Now add the torn porotta pieces and add all the 3 powders mentioned above, salt and mix well.
Cook for a couple of mins and then garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve with onion raitha.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Madhoo.. I have been looking for this recipe and I found it in your blog. I must thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried it and I luuuvvvv chilli porotta.. This is the first one among all the recipes that I have tried from your blog. Good job!

Unknown said...

hey madhoo,

I wanted to let you know that I made porotta with your recipe a few times now and it came out amazingly well..Thanks

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

Dhanya & Vandhana, I'm glad u liked it!